New Posts Update:

Some more 3D renderings that I have done as a hobbyist, not that professional looking, but then not so amateurish that I can’t publish on my own blog 🙂

Will be using some of them for my upcoming flash game … if I can find the time to finish up my coding 😦

This living room tryout has both natural & artificial lighting, with scanline renderer:

Living Room with eclectic style

Living Room with eclectic style

This time trying out natural light with mr renderer:

Bedroom with natural & artificial lighting

Bedroom with natural & artificial lighting

2nd try of the same bedroom, same renderer but different view angle. The natural lighting is more discernible now (I think):

Bedroom with natural & artificial lighting

Bedroom with natural & artificial lighting

I like the mood in this study room the best biggrin

Surprisingly the “natural light” look is achieved (using mr renderer) without using the default natural light *secret* cool

Study Room with natural and task lighting

Study Room with natural and task lighting

All the shots are completed as raw renderings, i.e. no compositing done after rendering or adding AO maps etc. Just plain raw vanilla rendered images, straight from the rendering oven. Though I suspect the last image may benefit from a AO map overlay … hmmm

[Update 18 Aug 2013]

And this below are the rudimentary beginnings of using Blender3D.

overhead view

overhead view

balcony view

balcony view

Lights have not been inserted, yet the default Cycles Renderer is already able to give soft overall ambient light with soft shadows.

I can’t wait to try out the different lights, including sunlight, plus rich array of material maps. And I haven’t tried LuxRender yet 🙂

I am sooooo going to master Blender now that I have seen what the new 2.6 version is capable, LOL

[Update 24 Aug 2013]

Arrrgh, soooo Blender is so NOT easy to master after all, LOL

After a painful, arduous journey of

1.  battling graphics card incompatibility with the hair particle system (no support in the new Cycles Renderer, had to use CPU processing, despite updating drivers) ,

2.  fighting Windows error messages after finally getting graphics card to work (Time delay blah blah blah),

3.  having my file crashed irreparably, and having to re-import the backup as an OBJ,

4.  having to re-install Blender again, and setting up the user configurations and add-ons,

5.  then getting textures, mapping, and lights (& backgrounds) to work after conquering Windows using regedit tweaks (trial and error many times …),

6.  getting rid of “fireflies” in noisy transparency renderings (next to impossible, gave up and chose another material to fake effect),

7.  and finally getting the hang of compositing on the final 2 images (oh! alpha, alpha control, how I hate thee …),

I have finally succeeded in finishing a modified version of the tutorial found here. Not too bad, only vomited blood for 4~5 nights  😯

I did not use the tutorial’s image, but instead used this:

Reference photo

Reference photo used to follow the tutorial

After endless attempts to position the camera angle to align with this view, I approximated the view with some other elements just to get a feel of the internal nuts and bolts of Blender. Most of the loose furniture were grabbed from some download sites which I can’t remember anymore, since I have been collecting models ad hoc for over 10 years now, LOL

To cut a looong story short, these are the 2 images I finally ended up with to use in the Blender’s internal compositor:

First, a carpet only rendering, with alpha and masking, done using CPU processing and experimental feature set, as the current Blender version doesn’t support GPU rendering for Hair particle system. Interesting that they use particle system for hair instead of only modifier. But it makes sense in animation (when you want to make character go bald for example). But the word “modifier” still pops up in the stack just above “particle system”, so …. is it a modifier or particle system … *blur*

Carpet-only rendering

Carpet-only rendering, 1hr37min *sigh*.

Second, the whole scene but without the carpet, using GPU and supported feature set:

Whole Scene without carpet

Whole Scene without carpet, ranges from 1hr21min to 2hr35min depending on render samples (from 800 to 2000), and different bounces (from 4 to 24)

No surprise that my CPU takes way longer to render 1 object vs. the GPU which rendered 178 objects in less time. But I haven’t optimsed the tile size for either, so there is probably some room for improvement in rendering times.

And the final image as compiled in the compositor, re-rendered to show proper cropping in foregound:

Final Render

Final Render, using Cycles Renderer in Blender

And I have yet to try out Depth of field, artificial lighting, batch rendering, command line rendering …. gosh, so much to learn and so little time 😀

Setup used for rendering:

  • Blender 2.68a
  • File specs: 300702 vertices, 300485 faces
  • a modest hardware setup: CPU only i3 (which I am regretting like crazy, no thanks to expert advice who all said renderings are done on GPU and CPU speeds are immaterial), RAM 8gb, nVidia GTX 660 4gb, but with 6 fans blowing away inside, I was happy to let it run overnight(s).

[Update 27 Aug 2013]

And a final-final version, with a carpet that doesn’t look half-botak …

Final Render

Final Render, with fuller carpet. This was done at 8000 instead of 2400 strands

Do keep a look out for my post on render time comparisons.

Feel free to comment 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s